My newest idea for this blog is to write a 'get to know me' post every Monday - give you a window into who's behind the work you see here. We'll see how exactly this plays out, but I'll probably do different things each week - factoids, stories, etc. If I forget to post, feel free to remind me. ;)
This week, it's a simple list making its way around various blogs, and brought to my attention on Carol Dean's blog. Here's how it goes: the things on the list that I've done are in bold face. I've written in little notes of my own on some of these, but it isn't a requirement. If you're interested in propagating this list, you can just be free! (as we say in Kenya...)
1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii - no, but I'd sure like to!
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disney World
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris - on a 10 hour layover, I was tired and grumpy with sore feet by the end of the day.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables - I love having a garden, too bad I don't have my own yard this year. Sigh!
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train - took one going to the coast in Kenya every year when I was little (until they jacked up the price)
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort - siblings and I tried in about 2 inches of snow, but didn't complete the task. :)
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse - just lunar, I've only seen a partial solar eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors - Ireland!
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied - Money isn't what satisfies, I could be perfectly happy with none.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt - hooray for Geology!
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa - I think living there for 16 years counts.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted - if painting it myself counts. :D
48. Gone deep sea fishing - shallow Gulf fishing, but far enough out to not see land!
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud - my mom sent me outside to play every time it rained (a rare occurrence)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie - if the Freshman class film from college counts. ;)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen - not a soup kitchen per se, but I volunteered regularly at a food pantry while I lived in New Mexico.
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy - for a time, anyways.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt - a very simple one, and I'm still working on it. :D
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle - my uncle in Vienna had UN tags that allowed him to go any speed he wanted. Riding on the back coming out of the Alps was an experience to remember!
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper - when I was born!
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous - Elisabeth Elliot! I went to church with Jim Elliot's little sister while I was in college, and Elisabeth was just visiting. :D
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone - not 'till 2005 when I first started grad school
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day
That makes 44/100, how do you score?